Speaker of the Parliament and former President of the Maldives, Mohamed Nasheed, has given his statement to the police regarding the May 6 attack that targeted his life earlier this year.
Nasheed's brother, Nazim Abdul Sattar, who is part of his legal team, confirmed that his brother gave the statement to the police on Thursday.
'I believe the final statement will be heard during the trial,' Nazim said.
The police have previously attempted to obtain Nasheed's statement on multiple occasions without success. When the police first said they required a statement by Nasheed, the former President said he had 'nothing but his physical body, heart, and chest' to show as a statement. Later, Nasheed's legal team said he was ready to provide the statement.
A terror attack was carried out against Nasheed on May 6 by detonating an IED as he entered his vehicle near his residence in capital Male'. According to the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF), the IED was strapped to a motorcycle parked nearby. Nasheed sustained serious injuries in the attack, and multiple critical surgeries were performed on him. He has received further treatment from Germany and the United Kingdom. Although he returned to the Maldives briefly since the attack, he is now back in the United Kingdom. However, his British lawyer, Kirsty Brimelow, is currently in the Maldives.