Ruling party asserts emergency extension despite vote shortfall

Ruling Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) has claimed the state of emergency will be extended as per president Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom's wish despite the outcome of parliament vote.

Deputy leader of PPM Abdul Raheem Abdulla had earlier stressed the parliament's outcome will not cement a formal decision regarding the emergency extension, however it will extend according to president Yameen's wish.

Abdulla's statement has directed massive criticism from the opposition who claim the ruling party deputy's statement heavily implies Maldives is experiencing an indefinite totalitarian government.

Meanwhile president Abdulla Yameen had not been able to muster enough votes through parliament to proceed with a formal seal on extending the state of emergency to another 15-days making it to 30, since the lawmakers present to vote reached only 38.

Maldives Constitution mandates the minimum of 43 votes in favor for a bill, resolution or motion to get passed by the parliament floor.

A special sitting was scheduled for Monday due to president Yameen asking for the emergency extension, however opposition aligned members collectively boycotted the sitting - placing the extension approval on pause.

On Tuesday afternoon, ruling party and its aligned MDA members released a joint-statement confirming they will proceed with the vote for state of emergency extension depite the lack of 43 pro-votes.

The pro-government alliance had released a three-line whip for Tuesday's parliament sitting scheduled for 16:00hrs.

Though the ruling party coalition had released a statement attached to a three-line whip for the sitting, parliament website has not reflected details of Tuesday's session neither had its administration been aware of tabled time for the sitting.

President Abdulla Yameen declared state of emergency on February 5, in a last ditch effort to end Supreme Court's hold over its order to release nine political dissidents including former president Mohamed Nasheed.

The emergency was declared with the suspension on more than 20 constitutional rights and several judicature rights including the Criminal Procedure Act, rendering top-court 'toothless' against state.

Immediately after the emergency declaration both Chief Justice Abdulla Saeed and top-court judge Ali Hameed were arrested by local military, but not before bringing the court premises under siege.