The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has announced its decision to test all those who recently returned to the Maldives from the United Kingdom, and those who had been in contact with said individuals.
Three Maldivians who recently returned to the Maldives have tested positive for COVID-19. All three were placed in quarantine facilities upon their return prior to being tested for the virus, as per protocol followed for all Maldivians returning from abroad.
Before the government imposed the measure, several Maldivians had returned to the archipelago from the UK. Government spokesperson on COVID-19 related matters, Mabrook Azeez on Tuesday announced that they too will be tested for the virus as an added precaution.
In this regard, all Maldivians who arrived in the Maldives between 14th and 19th March will be tested for COVID-19. Those who had come in contact with them are being traced, said Mabrook.
The government has now decided to test all being held at quarantine facilities. Although they do not develop any symptoms of the virus, they will still be tested before being released upon the completion of their 14-day quarantine.
18 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the Maldives thus far. Three are locals while the remaining are foreigners. The number of active cases is currently three.