Fire incident at shop in capital; second fire in two days

A fire incident occurred at a shop located on the Janavaree Magu junction of capital Male’ on Sunday afternoon.

The incident occurred at ‘Vestire’ shop located at H.Donygoal. Although the fire has been put out, all goods and cash in the shop have been destroyed in the fire.

Eye witnesses said the shop caught on fire after a flame erupted inside the shop, and an explosion was also heard. Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) said it is believed that an indoor unit of the shop’s air conditioning unit had caught fire. The incident occured while the shop was closed for afternoon prayers, and no persons were present at the shop at the time of the incident.

Although no damages were caused to the floors above the shop, the electricity has been cut off from the whole building. The area has been cordoned off, and the Health Protection Agency (HPA) have warned the public to stay away from smoke.

A large fire engulfed a restaurant in the capital two days earlier, and had caused large amounts of damage to the building and surrounding area.