Ex-VP sentenced to twenty years in prison, fined MVR 2 mln

The Criminal Court on Monday sentenced former Vice President Ahmed Adeeb Abdul Ghafoor to twenty years in jail after he pleaded guilty to seven charges raised again him over the MMPRC graft.

The seven charges raised against Adeeb by the state are two charges of accomplicement to embezzlement, two charges of misuse of official capacity to obtain undue advantages, two charges of money laundering and one charge of abuse of power.

Adeeb cooperated with the state in the investigation of the case, and entered a plea deal with the state under which the lightest sentences for the crimes would be handed to him. The agreed penalties for the charges are 4 years, 9 months and 18 days in prison for one count of being an accomplice to embezzlement, and an additional 2 years, 4 months and 24 days for the second count. The two counts of misuse of official capacity separately carry a 6 month sentence and a one month and 15 days sentence. The first count of money laundering carries a penalty of 5 years, 11 months and 6 days in prison and a fine of MVR one million, while the second count carried a similar penalty of 5 years, 11 months and 12 days in prison with an equal fine amount. The abuse of power charge carries a penalty of three months in jail.

The judge on Monday sentenced Adeeb to a total of 20 years in prison and ordered him to pay MVR 2 million in fines to the state withina month.

Adeeb was previously jailed over the MMPRC corruption case where millions in state funds were embezzled. After he was acquitted, several serious charges including money laundering charges were later raised against him after a plea deal was signed between the Prosecutor General’s Office and the former vice president. However, the Criminal Court dropped all charges against him on July 14.

The case was tried once again by the Criminal Court after the High Court ruled that the case was dismissed by the Criminal Court against the due procedures, and ordered a retrial. The upper court had remanded him into custody for 15 days following the verdict, but was transferred to home arrest due to his current medical condition.

A hearing was held last Wednesday at the Criminal Court regarding the case, during which the charges against Adeeb were read out. When given a chance to speak regarding the charges raised against him, Adeeb pleaded guilty to all seven charges, and requested the court to deliver a verdict and conclude the case at the earliest.

During Monday’s hearing, Adeeb said his mobile phones, chat logs and other relevent documents and devices have been handed over to the state for investigation purposes. The names of all those who benefited from the corruption have been relayed to the state, said Adeeb.