All international arrivals in the Maldives excluding tourists will be required to quarantine themselves for 10 days upon arrival in the Maldives.
Strict precautionary measures were imposed on the Greater Male’ Region in a bid to combat the COVID-19 pandemic last year. The restrictions were later relaxed in stages as the COVID-19 situation improved in the Maldives. However, the number of positive cases recorded in the Maldives have been on the rise over the past few weeks, with 145 positive cases recorded over the past 24 hours.
An announcement signed by the Director General of Public Health, Maimoona Abobakuru said international arrivals excluding tourists will have to complete a quarantine of ten days upon their arrival in the Maldives. The change will become effective from January 29, said HPA.
HPA also imposed other restrictive measures on Wednesday, including the implementation of a curfew in the Greater Male’ Region from 12:00 am to 04:00 am. HPA has also prohibited holding parties, events and other events in the Greater Male’ Region.
The number of cases being registered in the Maldives have been on the rise since the beginning of the year. While over 1,200 cases were identified in the Maldives during the first 24 days of the year, three deaths were recorded during this period.