The Prosecutor General's Office has said charges cannot be raised against one suspect arrested in connection to the May 6 terror attack that targeted Speaker of the Parliament and former president of the Maldives, Mohamed Nasheed.
A terror attack was carried out against Nasheed on May 6 by detonating an IED as he entered his vehicle near his residence in capital Male'. According to the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF), the IED was strapped to a motorcycle parked nearby. Nasheed sustained serious injuries in the attack and multiple critical surgeries were performed on Nasheed at ADK Hospital in Male'. Nasheed later traveled to Germany on May 13 for additional treatment, and he is currently recuperating from his injuries in the United Kingdom.
23-year-old Ismail Fathih used to work as a police officer and quit the force earlier this year. Originally from L. Gan, he was arrested in B. Dharavandhoo following the attack. He was the fourth suspect to be arrested in connection to the May 6 attack.
In a press conference held Tuesday, Prosecutor General, Hussain Shameem said no charges can be pursued against Ismail Fathih at this time. While investigation into the case is ongoing, if any reason to pursue charges is identified, charges will be raised accordingly, said Shameem.
'For now, we have decided not to seek charges against Fathih. The investigation is still ongoing, and we therefore cannot disclose further information. We still require more information from Fahith. We cannot seek charges at this point in the investigation," he said.
The Prosecutor General's Office has raised 13 charges against four suspects involved in the attack. They are Adhuham Ahmed (25), Mujaz Ahmed (21), Thahmeen Ahmed (32) and Ali Haisham (27).