Speaker of the Parliament and former President of the Maldives, Mohamed Nasheed has agreed to give a statement regarding the May 6 attack that targeted his life.
A statement issued by Nasheed's legal team said he was ready to provide a statement to the police, and that he wished for his statement to be recorded before the preliminary stage of hearings in the trial of the suspects linked to the case.
The police on August 3 said it required Nasheed's statement for investigation purposes, in order to verify other informtion collected by the police. Assistant Commissioner of Police, Mohamed Riyaz said the police attempted to record Nasheed's statement while he was receiving treatment at ADK Hospital following the attack. However, Nasheed did not wish to give the statement at the time, said Riyaz. He further said the police requested for a statement via email or letter while Nasheed was already abroad, in order to obtain the statement to prepare the prosecution file. Prosecutor General Hussain Shameem has also previously said he hopes Nasheed would give a statement on the incident.
When the police requested for a statement, Nasheed in a tweet said he had 'nothing but his physical body, heart and chest' to show as a statement. He tagged Commissioner of Police, Mohamed Hameed in the tweet.
Nasheed's legal team did not disclose why Nasheed now wished to cooperate in providing a statement.
A terror attack was carried out against Nasheed on May 6 by detonating an IED as he entered his vehicle near his residence in capital Male'. According to the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF), the IED was strapped to a motorcycle parked nearby. Nasheed sustained serious injuries in the attack and multiple critical surgeries were performed on Nasheed at ADK Hospital in Male'. Nasheed later traveled to Germany on May 13 for additional treatment, and he is currently recuperating from his injuries in the United Kingdom.
Although Nasheed's family has said he is expected to return to the Maldives in September, it is now unlikely that Nasheed will travel back to the Maldives this month. In a letter sent to the Parliament in August, Nasheed requested to extend his leave such that he is able to remain abroad for the time being, as he feels reluctant to return to the Maldives while the investigation into the May 6 attack remains incomplete.