Police on Friday dropped the case against two opposition aligned Raajje TV journalists who had been accused in two videos allegedly showing police officers wearing masks warning the government of a revolt.
Police had said the case had been dropped due to lack of evidence, but warned that if new evidence was to be uncovered it would re-open the case against the Raajje TV duo.
Police had even arrested reporter Mohamed Wisam and Amir Saleem, the station's head of programming over the videos in March, but they had been released court.
Police had said the two were arrested over the videos shared on social networking sites in which a group of masked people dressed like police said they planned to join the anti-government rally.
The journalists were arrested shortly after the ruling party had accused the pro-opposition station of being involved in the making of the videos.
Police had asked the criminal court to remand the two journalists for five more days based on an intelligence report. The court however, had rejected the request saying that the police had been unable to present any new evidence and ordered their immediate release.
The 'officers' appearing in the video had also claimed that the government's failure to fulfill their demands would be met with a police mutiny on April 1.
The videos were released amid a series of arrests in the wake of increasing rumours of a revolt within the police and military ranks.
Opposition has also claimed that several soldiers have been detained inside the army barracks.
The island nation has been embroiled in fresh political turmoil after the Supreme Court on February 1 ordered the immediate release of jailed political leaders including self-exiled former president Mohamed Nasheed.
President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom on February 5 had declared a state of emergency after his last ditch attempt to convince the top court to revoke the order failed, purged the Supreme Court by arresting two judges and the remaining political leaders and ultimately had the order revoked.