Maldives Police Service have revealed that the case of the seven officers who used excessive force during a drug raid has been forwarded to the Prosecutor General for counsel.
The leaked footage of an operation executed by the Drug Enforcement Department (DED) showed plainclothes officers using excessive force on a suspect in a home in Maafannu ward.
While seven officers were consequently suspended, their suspension expired on Sunday. However, regardless of the suspension ending on the 8th of September, they have yet to be brought back to work, said the police.
They further stated that according to regulations, a decision has to be made regarding the officers latest by September 12. However, the criminal case against the officers were forwarded to duty prosecution for PG discussion on Sunday, said the police.
Following the footage going viral on social media, Commissioner of Police Mohamed Hameed had revealed that the footage of the officers using excessive force while searching a home onunder a search warrant had been reviewed. While the actions of the officers were unacceptable, the matter will be investigated after placing the officers on suspension, the commissioner had said.