Fire at T-jetty injures seven

Seven people have been injured after a speedboat and three fuel bowsers at T-Jetty caught on fire.

It has been reported that the incident occurred when the speed boat caught on fire as it was being fueled. At the time, one of the bowsers was fueling the vessel through a pipeline. When the boat caught on fire, it spread to the bowser through the pipeline and subsequently exploded. An eyewitness reports seeing a man with a lit cigarette on the scene.

The incident occurred around 3.40 pm on Monday afternoon. Police, MNDF and civilians were quick to move other vessels in the vicinity away from the area. While a large number of fuel bowsers were in the area, the vehicles were dragged away from the area using ropes.

The fire was controlled and put out after 1.5 hours. While three fuel bowsers were destroyed in the fire, seven people received burns during the incident. A large percentage of one victim's body suffered burns, however, none of the injuries of any of the victims are life threatening, confirmed Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospita (IGMH), where the victims were taken for treatment. 6 Maldivians and one expatriate were injured in the incident.

While 9 people were taken to IGMH following the incident, two people have now been discharged, said IGMH. One of the victims is being treated in the ICU, and four have been admitted in the ward and two are being treated in the HDU, they revealed.

Defense Minister Mariya Ahmed Didi and Home Minister Imran Abdulla arrived on the scene shortly after the fire occurred. President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih also arrive at the scene and thanked the firefighters for their bravery and the swift response in putting out the blaze.

The President noted that the rapid response of firefighters and emergency personnel along with the help of volunteers made it possible to contain the situation before the fire spread further and did even more damage. President Solih reiterated that the administration is working on ensuring the placement of all necessary measures to prevent fire incidents.

Afterwards, the president visited the victims of the fire at IGMH.

The police are investigating the fire to identify its cause.