Education Ministry has revealed that a special scheme is being developed for students in case the current situation in the Maldives worsens due to COVID-19.
13 people have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus in the Maldives. The government has closed all schools and universities as a precautionary measure to combat the virus.
Speaking at a press conference held Sunday, Deputy Minister of Education Mohamed Ihsan said if the current break needs to be extended, a special scheme will be formulated to accommodate the extension. The new scheme will be prepared by the teachers during the current week, said the deputy minister.
The scheme is targeted for students below the tenth grade.
Under the scheme, the digital resources needed to teach the students will be prepared and developed. The resources will be shared with students via the education portal and online. The resources will be issued separately for each subject.
During the press conference, Education Minister Dr. Aishath Ali said arrangements are being made such that teachers are not required to attend the school, and enable them to work from home.
After the government closed all schools, the Education Ministry introduced a new TV program named 'Telekilaas' to deliver lessons to tenth grade students preparing to sit the O'level exams this year.
The program will be aired on state media 'Public Service Media' (PSM) and Yes TV from 8 am in the morning until 2 pm every day. The timetable for each day will be published on the Education Ministry's social media handles the previous day.
Earlier this month, the government closed all schools over coronavirus fears. Since then, more positive cases have been confirmed, and a state of public emergency has been declared for a period of 30 days. One of the actions taken under this alert level is to close all schools.