A Maldivian who traveled to the archipelago from the United Kingdom has tested positive for COVID-19. This is the first time a local has tested positive for the virus in the Maldives.
Health Minister Abdulla Ameen made the announcement during a press conference held Friday. The minister said a 38-year old local man arrived in the Maldives on March 22. He was tested for COVID-19 on March 25, and the results were received on Friday.
The minister said the man had been quarantined as per protocol upon his arrival in the Maldives, and had exhibited symptoms of the virus during quarantine on March 25. He was quarantined in a single room, so it is unlikely that he had come in contact with several others, said the minister. Contact tracing is currently ongoing.
14 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the Maldives thus far. Nine have recovered from the illness, and the number of active cases is five.