Two Italians who departed from the Maldives have tested positive for COVID-19.
Speaking at a press conference held Friday, Health Minister Abdulla Ameen said two Italian tourists who had been in contact with a positive case of COVID-19 were transferred to a quarantine facility. Both people completed a 14-day quarantine, and were tested for the virus prior to their departure. The results were received after they had already departed from the archipelago, said the minister.
“We have learnt that two Italians who completed their 14-day qurantine and departed from the country have tested positive for COVID-19. We collect samples from high-risk individuals in quarantine before their departure for research and other purposes. Samples collected from two such individuals have tested positive," said the minister.
14 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the Maldives thus far. While 13 out of the 14 infected patients are foreigners, the government on Friday confirmed the country's first local case.