No sign of acid in rainwater: MFDA

Maldives Food and Drug Authority (MFDA) have revealed that there are no signs of acid in the rain falling on capital Male' following the massive fire that broke out on Friday.

While four chemical warehouses on Abahdhahfehi Magu in Henveiru burnt down in the fire, heavy rain followed the fire with the weather taking a turn for the worse. Many have expressed concern that the noxious fumes from the chemicals may have affected the rain water.

Addressing the concerns, MFDA said rainwater tested on Saturday showed no signs of acid.

Fumes from Friday night's fire are still in the area. Health Protection Agency (HPA) has urged all homes in the vicinity to keep their doors and windows closed, and to make use of masks.