The Maldives government has stated that no decisions have been made to lockdown capital Male' amid a dramatic spike in COVID-19 infections.
Several media have reported that the government is planning to lockdown capital Male' for two weeks right before the Fitr Eid holidays.
Speaking at a press conference held by the Health Emergency Operation Centre (HEOC) on Monday night, Spokesperson for the President's Office Mohamed Mabrook Azeez said no such decisions had been made thus far. While a meeting took place between President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih and HEOC's Technical Advisory Group (TAG) on Monday night, the decisions reached at the meeting will be shared at a later time, said Mabrook. However, he did not comment on whether the decision made at the meeting were regarding a lockdown.
Some sources have reported that the government will be increasing the current seven-hour curfew imposed on Male' city.