Speaker of the Parliament and former President of the Maldives, Mohamed Nasheed has stated that he wishes to receive compensation for the injuries sustained in the May 6 attack.
A terror attack was carried out against Nasheed on May 6 by detonating an IED as he entered his vehicle near his residence in capital Male'. According to the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF), the IED was strapped to a motorcycle parked nearby. Nasheed sustained serious injuries in the attack and multiple critical surgeries were performed on Nasheed at ADK Hospital in Male'. Nasheed later traveled to Germany on May 13 for additional treatment, and he is currently recuperating from his injuries in the United Kingdom. Several arrests have been made in relation to the attack.
In answer to a question asked by AVAS during a press conference held Sunday, Nasheed said he wants 'Diyah' - the Islamic traditional compensation due for shedding blood- for the injuries he suffered in the May 6 attack.
Nasheed's legal team has requested the Prosecutor General's Office to share documents to determine which suspect carried out which action in the attack. These documents will help determine the matters relevant to Diyah. Nasheed said he does not believe the State or the police would refuse to share the information, adding that his lawyers were working with the government to move forward on the matter.
During his first press conference since the May 6 attack, Nasheed said he was doing extremely well. However, three fingers on his right hand are still numb, said Nasheed. He revealed that doctors are optimistic that he would regain sensitivity in the fingers, despite him feeling less confident about it.
Nasheed said he will not be able to return to the Maldives at the end of this month as previously planned, as he still needs to visit the doctor for consultations every three weeks. He did not share an approximate date for his return.