166 City Council employees affected by fire

Male' City Council has said 166 of its employees were affected by the fire that broke out at the used goods market this morning.

Fire and Rescue received a call at 5:43 am today about the fire in the used goods market area. The fire spread to a City Council accommodation block in the area.

The City Council's Media Officer said the council's accommodation block burnt down to ashes in the incident. The employees residing at the accommodation block are now being relocated to temporary shelters. None of the employees were injured in the fire.

According to the council, the accommodation block houses 165 Bangladeshis and one Indian.