Family of girl killed by falling cement bag back to 'fight for justice'

The family of the Bangladeshi girl who died after a bag of cement fell on top of her in the capital Male last month vowed to fight for justice for their daughter.

Eight year old Rawshan Jian died on December 17 after succumbing to her injuries while battling for her life in intensive care at the state run Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH).

Speaking during a press conference on Tuesday, Rawshan's mother, Dr Farzana Hossain who had been working in Maldives for the past two years said the family had been left in unbearable pain by the sudden death of their beloved daughter.

"Like all families, December was a month of holiday for us. We had come to Male on our annual leave. However it seems like fate took a different turn on us," Farzana told local reporters choking back tears as she described the fateful morning.

CCTV footage from a nearby building showed the girl walking just ahead of her mother before a bag of cement falls on top of her head.

The girl appears to be unconscious before a bystander picks her up and hoists her over his shoulder before rushing away.

"... we were walking on a pavement when a cement bag fell over my daughter from a building under construction by a company named W construction," she said.

"Despite doctors' efforts and within what felt like a matter of moments, we had lost our beloved daughter."

Dr Farzana pointed out that the tragedy had affected the Maldivian people and shed light on the malpractices of the construction industry.

Immediately after the tragic incident, the authorities had enforced a city wide suspension on construction.

Male city council meanwhile had suspended all construction permits issued to the local contractor saying that the renowned firm W-Construction did not have the necessary permits to carry out construction on the site in question.

However, suspension has since been lifted much to the dismay of the public.

"We have now come back to Male, to fight for the justice of our daughter. We believe that the incident that had happened is a clear case of negligence," she alleged adding that her family had been assured by the authorities that the investigation was on going.

Farzana said she would return to Faafu Atoll Nilandhoo island and would continue working there until she gets justice for her daughter.

"With a heavy heart, I recognize the sad reality that many would remember our daughter as the girl on a YouTube video. Rawshan Jian was not the girl you saw on the horrifying video. She was joyful, ambitious and full of love," Farzana said wiping away tears.

"She wanted to travel the world. She dreamt of becoming a pilot. She got upset when people told her being a pilot was not for women. She was a girl full of strength and intelligence."