The National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) on Tuesday announced a fifth COVID-19 related death in the Maldives.
NEOC said a Bangladeshi national who was brought to state-run IGMH on Monday after being found unconscious on the road was found to be positive for COVID-19 when tested. He had already passed away by the time he was brought to the hospital, said NEOC.
NEOC's Spokesperson Mohamed Mabrook Azeez said the 45 year old man worked for a Maldivian national, and had heart conditions. He has not been to work in two months and exhibited no symptoms of infection, he added. Four people linked to the deceased man have been identified through contact tracing, said Mabrook.
Three elderly Maldivian nationals and two Bangladeshi nationals have succumbed to COVID-19 in the Maldives. The archipelago has recorded 1438 positive cases of the virus to date.