The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said 15 individuals linked to the outbreak in state-run IGMH have tested positive for COVID-19.
An Indonesian cancer patient who was receiving treatment from the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit tested positive for the virus last week. After the case surfaced, several tests were carried out on patients and staff alike. The ICU has been closed off and its services shifted to another department.
During a press conference held Sunday night, the Health PRotection Agency (HPA)’s epidemiologist Dr Nazla Rafeeq said two additional nurses and two patients had tested positive for the virus. This increases the number of infected patients to seven, and two helpers staying beside the patients at the hospital have also tested positive, said Dr. Nazla. While contact tracing is ongoing, over 309 samples have been collected, and some results have not been received thus far, said Dr. Nazla.
IGMH has adopted stricter service policies after cases of COVID-19 were identified in patients receiving treatment at the hospital's Intensive Care Unit.
The hospital earlier on Friday had announced that it would resume OPD services and routine operations under the new normal guidelines being followed under the third stage of relaxing lockdown measures. However,a statement released by IGMH on Saturday said the hospital's administration had decided against going ahead with the relaxation of measures, and said it would continue to follow the procedures of the second stage of relaxation of lockdown measures until further notice. In this regard, OPD services will be available only between 9 am and 1 pm, and online consultations will be continued. Visitors are not allowed and no more than one helper is to remain with each hospitalized patient. All entering the hospital will be screened for COVID-19, and children will not be allowed to enter the hospital unless seeking treatment. Non-emergency operations have also been halted.