'Maldives needs an alternative to diesel', says minister

Maldives needs to find an alternative to diesel, Environment Minister Dr. Hussain Rasheed Hassan has stated. The minister made the statement while speaking on a TV program aired on Raajje TV on Monday night.

During the program, Minister Hussain Rasheed said several changes have to be brought in order to make Maldives a Net Zero Emission country by 2030. In this regard, the use of diesel in generators and the burning of diesel must be brought to a stop, and instead opt to use natural resources, said the minister. There are opportunities in the Maldives to generate electricity using natural resources, he added.

The minister said 10 percent of the Maldives’ GDP is spent on oil, of which 80 percent is diesel. 60 percent of diesel is used to generate electricity while the remaining 40 percent is used for transport, he added.