The Ministry of Education has instructed schools to lock their gates during session hours.
The ministry's instructions came while a 37-year-old man was arrested last month for entering Jamaluddin School, causing disruption, and making threats.
The ministry's notice said the government was working to make schools a safe place for students and staff at all times. It outlined the protocol for entering and leaving the school premises and other safety measures.
The notice instructed schools to:
- Keep all school gates locked during teaching hours
- Keep all school gates locked at all times except during session starting time
- Haveprotocols in place for students and staff to enter and leave school premises
- Allow public and parents to enter school premises only after stating the reason to the security officer
- Ensure parents have the school-issued parent card when entering the school